Website

To protect your privacy while at the same time providing an easy way to interact with us, we have implemented the two-click privacy implementation from the publisher heise from Germany. If you are interested in the details, you can read the original article (german).

It has taken a bit of time, but finally the french translation at fr.pdfforge.org is completed. There are of course some parts of the site that are untranslated (this blog, for example), specially in areas, that need frequent updates.

As we do not speak French, this will remain this way, but ensures that the information are up to date.

For many years now, we are using Drupal as our content management system. It has served us well and over some versions so far. As more visitors arrived, we had to enable different ways of caching and optimize the size of the pages, to keep the server load under control.

As you will have noticed, the new site had some problems during the day. We did not change anything fundamental in technicals means. We have rearranged the pages and made everything look better. But we have also released PDFCreator 1.3.0 and thus slashdotted ourselves.

Together with the new PDFCreator release, we are happy to finally publish the new website. It has taken a lot of work to rethink everything. It became clear, that the old naturally grown site was not sufficient anymore and very confusing.

 

We have put some effort into making the site easy to use and understand. And to make it look better. You can now have a look around and please tell us what you think in the comments. If you should find any problems with the site, please also feel free to post a comment.

As there is a lot of discussion and concern about Google Analytics (specially here in Germany), we chose to host our own site statistic tool. We are using the open source tool piwik for some time now and are very happy with it. It does not only comply with the very strict german privacy law (i.e. it does not store ip addresses), but also is very good to use. After the last update, our small vServer could not cope with the number of users anymore and went unreachable.

I have said a few words about our apache performance before. You could see the result, that it may have taken a while until the http request was served if it was very crowded. In the end, that also did not help anymore and the performance was very poor. Actually, I have been spammed with mails from our monitoring system telling that the server load is very high.

Finally, we have moved to our new server last night. It smoothly serves the requests now and still leaves room for more requests.

Today we again had massive performance problems on the web server for several hours. Now it is fixed in a way that sounds strange, but makes sense when you think about it.

Some facts: We had 45795291 hits on the web server (file accesses like html files, images etc) in the whole month of june. Of these 8505586 hits access the update.txt - the file PDFCreator checks if it wants to see if there is a new version. This makes more than 3 update.txt requests per second, if they were fired with a constant rate. Practically, we get up to about 50 hits per second.