This blog will inform you about news on PDFCreator as well as aspects and stories around pdfforge.
philip | 2014-04-17 20:42
Today we have an early Easter gift for you: We have finalized the next beta release of PDFCreator: 1.9.3.
This brings the long waited feature to merge and rearrange print jobs and introduces a beta version of the COM interface.
The improvements include:
- Merge and rearrange print jobs again
- Converting a large document to an image format will now create file names in a sortable way (i.e. Doc001.jpg to Doc100.jpg)
- Allowing to skip the printing dialog a directly go to the save file dialog
- We have moved most Windows from the "old" Windows Forms technology to Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), which allows scalability on systems with other screen resolutions and better testing of UI components. The two settings dialogs will be converted with the next release. This required to move the project to .Net 4.0
- The COM interface is back in a very basic version. This will grow over the time. For now, the interface will change in future versions. Once it has stabilized, we will introduce proper COM versioning
If you have any feedback or questions, please leave a post in the beta forums.
philip | 2014-01-31 17:39
Today we have released PDFCreator 1.9.2 beta, our next iteration towards PDFCreator 2.0.
You can read all about it in the forum announcement. There you will also find the download and can leave feedback.
christophe | 2013-07-16 17:23
We are happy to announce PDFCreator 1.7.1 today. This release ensures that the pdfcmon.dll gets uninstalled on x64 systems and fixes printing after saving. Furthermore it includes some improvements in the pdfforge.dll. Visit http://www.pdfforge.org/content/whats-new to view the full changelog.
philip | 2013-05-08 17:04
As you may know, we have been talking for quite a while about a complete rewrite of PDFCreator. As I have started the project in 2002, it was just before my studies in computer science began. The programming language that was at hand was Visual Basic 6, so I started putting a few things together with that.
Since then, a lot has happend. A lot of features went into PDFCreator, a lot of knowledge and experience came to us and Visual Basic has been deprecated in favour of the .Net framework. As the current code is very hard to maintain, test and extend, we are thinking about a complete rewrite for quite a few years now.
Last July, we have started intense work on that. Now the time has come, that we would like to have the community take a part in the development by testing the current state and giving a feedback on problems, bugs and the new user experience.
There are a few points to consider:
- This is a very early version, so you should use it only in a testing environment.
- The release also is not feature-complete. Currently, it's not possible to look at the list of pending print jobs in PDFCreator or to combine them.
- There is no server mode or a COM interface.
- There is also no manual so far.
- Currently, there is only the offline package containing PDF Architect in the download as well
- Finally, the settings of the old PDFCreator will not be imported, as they have a different structure. Most likely we will write import functionality that will preserve most of the settings later.
So please take it for what it is: an early developer preview. Having that in mind, we are very curious to hear your feedback on the current state.
You can find the download here:
Due to the early state, things may change significantly in the user interface, so please do not start translating the application yet. We would like to wait a while for the whole translation to stabilize, because some changes could leave your translation unusable.
Please leave any remarks you may have in the forum thread for this preview version:
philip | 2013-04-16 15:16
We are happy to release PDFCreator 1.7.0 and PDF Architect 1.1 today.
PDFCreator now produces PDF/A 2b output and has a lot of small fixes and improvements included.
PDF Architect now allows to move pages in the document by dragging and dropping them in the page preview, add lines and different shapes an a lot more. PDF Architect 1.1 is included in the PDFCreator offline setup and can be downloaded and installed during the regular setup. Existing users of PDF Architect will receive an update notification shortly.