We know that the requests for an MSI Installer are coming regularly and that a lot of admins has the need for this. Many users have donated for this and we bought InstallAware some time ago. I have spent more than a month of development time this year to create and MSI Installer with InstallAware.
It has taken a bit of time, but finally the french translation at fr.pdfforge.org is completed. There are of course some parts of the site that are untranslated (this blog, for example), specially in areas, that need frequent updates.
As we do not speak French, this will remain this way, but ensures that the information are up to date.
We have just published PDFCreator 1.3.2 to fix some problems that still have been present. The full list of changes can be found in the manual: http://www.pdfforge.org/content/whats-new
The most important issues should be the poor performance with large files and that PDFCreator stayed in memory after printing a file. Both is now solved, together with a few other small fixes and improvements.
Just five days after PDFCreator 1.3.0 we are now releasing PDFCreator 1.3.1 to fix two severe bugs and some minor things. As many of you will have noticed, PDFArchitect did not load PDF files properly with the english translation. This is fixed now. The new pdfcmon.dll did crash on Terminal Servers, which is now fixed as well.
For many years now, we are using Drupal as our content management system. It has served us well and over some versions so far. As more visitors arrived, we had to enable different ways of caching and optimize the size of the pages, to keep the server load under control.
As you will have noticed, the new site had some problems during the day. We did not change anything fundamental in technicals means. We have rearranged the pages and made everything look better. But we have also released PDFCreator 1.3.0 and thus slashdotted ourselves.
Together with the new PDFCreator release, we are happy to finally publish the new website. It has taken a lot of work to rethink everything. It became clear, that the old naturally grown site was not sufficient anymore and very confusing.
We have put some effort into making the site easy to use and understand. And to make it look better. You can now have a look around and please tell us what you think in the comments. If you should find any problems with the site, please also feel free to post a comment.
We are proud to release PDFCreator 1.3.0 to the public today. In this release, much has changed. We have replaced the RedMon DLL with own code, which no longer requires workarounds due to the Windows Vista / Windows 7 UAC safety features. It also removes the requirement to the AFPL in our package. As this changed some fundamental parts, we were reworking big parts of PDFCreator and needed much testing.
I just have released my first article on CodeProject. It is about the DataStorage classes I have built to generate type-safe setting classes. This is a side task for migrating PDFCreator to .Net. The classes are already used in Images2PDF and the PDFArchitect.
You can read the full article here:
We know that having a MSI setup is vital for many people out there having to install PDFCreator on a large number of machines. For all of you there are good news, as we are doing quite some progress with the MSI development. After having some problems with our installer package (InstallAware), we now get quite used to it and found ways to bypass its limitations.
Of course it is hard to tell when exactly the MSI will be ready, but I am confident that this will happen soon. If thing go well, it could be that we have a first version ready for testing in January.