We are proud to release PDFCreator 1.3.0 to the public today. In this release, much has changed. We have replaced the RedMon DLL with own code, which no longer requires workarounds due to the Windows Vista / Windows 7 UAC safety features. It also removes the requirement to the AFPL in our package. As this changed some fundamental parts, we were reworking big parts of PDFCreator and needed much testing.
I just have released my first article on CodeProject. It is about the DataStorage classes I have built to generate type-safe setting classes. This is a side task for migrating PDFCreator to .Net. The classes are already used in Images2PDF and the PDFArchitect.
You can read the full article here:
We know that having a MSI setup is vital for many people out there having to install PDFCreator on a large number of machines. For all of you there are good news, as we are doing quite some progress with the MSI development. After having some problems with our installer package (InstallAware), we now get quite used to it and found ways to bypass its limitations.
Of course it is hard to tell when exactly the MSI will be ready, but I am confident that this will happen soon. If thing go well, it could be that we have a first version ready for testing in January.
As we try to concentrate on developing PDFCreator, we have posted two small projects on freelancer.com. In these projects we were looking for developers who can create to modules for this website (running drupal) to better integrate translations.
The projects did not go too well. They were started in August and none of this has been finished so far, while we at the same time have spent much time communicating with the freelancers, finding bugs in early versions, explaining the specification etc.
Today we are happy to introduce two new things on pdfforge.org. The first thing is our new tool Images2PDF. It is available with PDFCreator as well, but now can also be downloaded seperately, so you can have it in the latest version, even if there is no update for PDFCreator. Images2PDF allows you to take a bunch of images and quickly convert them to a PDF file. You can also set the compression and tell Images2PDF to resize the images.
We are happy to publish the minor release PDFCreator 1.2.3 today. It includes an updated Ghostscript, extended versions of Images2PDF and the pdfforge.dll and some minor fixes.
We are happy to publish the maintenance release PDFCreator 1.2.2 today. This version basically adds more translations to the setup. The pdfforge.dll also now has support for TIFF files with multiple pages.
We are happy to release the maintenance version PDFCreator 1.2.1 today. We have greatly improved the uninstaller. Future updates will not detele the profile/printer mapping during the update.
We have also included a new Tool: Images2PDF. It allows you to quickly convert a list of images into a PDF file. Make sure to test it after the update.
As there is a lot of discussion and concern about Google Analytics (specially here in Germany), we chose to host our own site statistic tool. We are using the open source tool piwik for some time now and are very happy with it. It does not only comply with the very strict german privacy law (i.e. it does not store ip addresses), but also is very good to use. After the last update, our small vServer could not cope with the number of users anymore and went unreachable.
We are happy to announce that PDFCreator 1.2.0 supports
24 29 languages now.