As there is a lot of discussion and concern about Google Analytics (specially here in Germany), we chose to host our own site statistic tool. We are using the open source tool piwik for some time now and are very happy with it. It does not only comply with the very strict german privacy law (i.e. it does not store ip addresses), but also is very good to use. After the last update, our small vServer could not cope with the number of users anymore and went unreachable.
We are happy to announce that PDFCreator 1.2.0 supports
24 29 languages now.
Today we are happy to announce PDFCreator 1.2.0. This version fixes a bug with printing from processes with lower priority like Google Chrome or Adobe Reader X. PDFCreator now also supports transparent PNG files.
According to our new versioning scheme we have increased the minor version number as there are new features and the translations needed to be updated.
We are happy to announce that PDFCreator 1.1.0 supports 24 languages now.
We are happy to announce PDFCreator 1.1.0 today. According to our new versioning scheme, it is the first release after PDFCreator 1.0.0 which adds new features. Among them is the embedded Ghostscript 9.0 which improves the TrueType font support. We have also added 128 Bit AES encryption and improved the setup to be run when PDFCreator is already installed to make the update easier.
The new TrueType font system also fixes spacing problems in some fonts including the Arial-Degree-Bug which caused the degree symbol to flow into following characters.
I have said a few words about our apache performance before. You could see the result, that it may have taken a while until the http request was served if it was very crowded. In the end, that also did not help anymore and the performance was very poor. Actually, I have been spammed with mails from our monitoring system telling that the server load is very high.
Finally, we have moved to our new server last night. It smoothly serves the requests now and still leaves room for more requests.
Today we have released PDFCreator 1.0.2. This version returns to the older Ghostscript 8.70 as the new version had problem with making text searcheable. We have also added some languages and have fixed a small bug of our own.
You find the new release in the download area: http://de.pdfforge.org/download
Today we again had massive performance problems on the web server for several hours. Now it is fixed in a way that sounds strange, but makes sense when you think about it.
Some facts: We had 45795291 hits on the web server (file accesses like html files, images etc) in the whole month of june. Of these 8505586 hits access the update.txt - the file PDFCreator checks if it wants to see if there is a new version. This makes more than 3 update.txt requests per second, if they were fired with a constant rate. Practically, we get up to about 50 hits per second.
We have uploaded PDFCreator 1.0.1 a few minutes ago. This happen according to our new versioning scheme. So this is a quick release fixing a few minor bugs (saving last directory and program fonts) and adding translations to the installer package.